Appleton mobile photography contest now accepting entries
The Appleton Museum of Art is shown on East Silver Springs Boulevard in Ocala, Fla. on Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2020. The Appleton is closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. [Bruce Ackerman/Ocala Gazette] 2020.
The Appleton Museum of Art is now accepting entries for its 8th annual Mobile Photography Contest and Exhibition, according to the museum’s website.
Photos captured on a mobile device are eligible. Entries will be accepted July 1-July 31, 2022. Mark Anderson, a photographer and public relations specialist for Marion County, will jury submissions.
Prizes will be awarded in each category and all entries will be on view in an exhibition at the Appleton from Aug. 15-Sept. 11. The contest is open to all ages. No experience is necessary and there is no fee to enter. Participants may submit up to two photos in each category.
Categories are listed below:
- Accidentally Awesome—“Have you ever taken a photo by accident, or had a photo turn out unexpectedly contest-worthy? Send us your photos with a brief explanation of why and how they are accidentally awesome.”
- Nature—“Weather, wildlife, fruits, flowers and more—show us how nature has inspired your mobile photography.”
- In Motion—“Movement can communicate a sense of action or mood and help tell a story. Send us your favorite motion shots!”
- Portrait—“Use your family, friends or pets as inspiration for this category. Don’t be afraid to get creative!”
- Entries must be taken with a mobile device (mobile phone or tablet); photos taken with film or digital cameras will not be accepted.
- From July 1-July 31, email photos to AppletonMuseum@cf.edu; include the category in the subject line and your full name in the body of the email. Photos must be sent via email. Entries submitted by mail or through Facebook or other social media will not be accepted.
- Submitting to more than one category? Send separate emails for each category. And remember, no more than two photos per category will be accepted.
- Entries will be juried, and winning photos will be selected based on creativity, quality, responsiveness to the category and overall impact. Winners will be notified before announcements are made on social media.
- All entries will be printed and displayed in the museum. For ease of printing, the Appleton will crop photos to square or 4 x 5 inches. There are no guarantees for special printing of panoramas.
- Photos must be tasteful and representative of the theme. Any photos or emails that do not adhere to all of the above guidelines may be disqualified at the discretion of museum staff.
All entries will be printed and displayed in the museum, with a special feature wall for winners. Regular museum admission fees apply to the exhibition, held on Aug. 15-Sept. 11. Admission is free on Sept. 3 as part of the Free First Saturday program.
For more information, email AppletonMuseum@cf.edu.